Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs
All teachers and students of English recognize the problems of understanding phrasal verbs and of using them appropriately. Phrasal verbs are an essential part of everyday communication, and mastery of them promotes more effective language use.
Drawing on the Bank of English, this dictionary gives detailed help in a simple, straightforward way. It shows how phrasal verbs are actually used, with plenty of real examples.
The unique Particles Index deals with the adverbs and prepositions used in phrasal verbs. It focuses on the common meanings associated with each of the particles, and lists the phrasal verbs where the particles have those meanings.
- Over 4,500 references - comprehensive coverage of phrasal verbs used in today's English: dump down, fess up, wig out
- Over 12,500 real examples
- Over 2000 synonyms and antonyms
- Explanations given in full sentences in simple, natural English
- Information on style and usage
- Exceptionally clear layout
- In depth treatment of the most common phrasal verbs in current British and American English.
- Labels phrases mainly used in: Britain, Australia and the United States