From the publisher
ISBN: 0007183879 Paperback
This authoritative reference grammar has been specially developed for advanced students and teachers of English. The result of a thorough analysis of written and spoken language, this book provides a clear and detailed picture of modern English grammar. The clear layout, as well as the extensive index and cross-referencing, ensure easy access.
- Detailed treatment of common grammatical patterns and parts of speech
- Clear explanations help learners to understand the attitudes and intentions of speakers and writers
- Thousands of real English examples, all chosen from The Bank of English
- Unique lists give the common words used in each structure
- Productive features of English are highlighted, to extend the learner`s knowledge and develop confidence
- `Warning' statements deal with areas of possible error and confusion
Grammar is the part of the language which deals with the forms and structure of words, and with their customary arrangement in phrases and sentences in spoken and written form.