Concise Oxford English Dictionary 11th
No longer available.
This is an excellent British English dictionary known for its accurate and to-the-point definitions and derivations, but it does not have example sentences. It is a great reference to have on your hard disk drive for quick access whenever you need to look up a word.
This software has a full screen display (so you can easily compare definitions to determine which one was intended) and it fully installs to your hard drive for instant access whenever you need it.
There is a help file which explains who to use the software and help for the contents of the dictionary which is actually entire pages from front of the dictionary!
The main entries are pronounced and the sound files also install to your hard drive for instant access.
We highly recommend this product!
From the publisher:
With pronunciation of headwords
11th edition on CD-ROM
With 240,000 up-to-the-minute words, phrases, and definitions, this major new edition on CD-ROM provides an impressive and authoritative description of the English language.
- High-quality spoken pronunciations for more than 50,000 main entry words
- Simple and advanced search options
- Interactive educational word games - such as Hangman, Boggle, Conundrum, and Word Maker
- Notes on grammar and usage covering a wide range of topics: from confusable words (what's the difference between peddle and pedal?) to punctuation (where should a hyphen be used?)
- Rich vocabulary coverage including scientific, technical, World English, rare, historical, and archaic terms
- Appendices containing lists of countries, currencies, chemical elements, electronic English, and more
"...You know you're onto a winner..." PC Pro
System requirements (Windows® only):
- PC with minimum Pentium-class processor
- 64Mb of RAM; 16-speed CD-ROM or DVD drive
- Windows 98/Me/NT4/2000/XP
- Minimum 100Mb free hard disk space (150Mb recommended)
- SVGA monitor, set to display high colour (64K or 16-bit colour)
- Windows-compatible 16-bit sound card.