This edition was first published in 2006.
Widely regarded as one of the best dictionaries for English as a Second Language (ESL) learners, with unique whole-sentence definitions and examples.
Please note: We can NOT recommend this dictionary for High Schools because a great many offensive words are defined. This dictionary is for adults and words are defined based on written and verbal usage. Any word that is considered offensive is labeled as offensive.
Click here for a sample page.
From the Publisher:
Collins COBUILD Advanced Learner's English Dictionary offers learners of English detailed treatment of today's language. Based on the evidence from the Bank of English® corpus, which now contains over 524 million words, the fourth edition reflects the English language as it is actually written and spoken today.
Now with an attractive new colour layout, the Collins COBUILD Advanced Learner's English Dictionary contains the most important new words and meanings which have come into the language over the past two years, as well as thousands of new, updated examples, taken directly from the corpus.
New to this edition are useful and attractive colour illustrations covering topic-related vocabulary, and the unique Access to English supplement containing practical phrases for essay-writing, job applications and business correspondence, giving learners all the guidance they need for communication in the 21st century.
The paper dictionaries now come with the CD-ROM containing 5th edition dictionary text with the main entry words and their inflections pronounced, the 5 million words from the Bank of English® wordbank.
Key features of the 5th edition:
- Understand more about today's English - up-to-date coverage of over 110,000 words, phrases and definitions, written in full sentences in simple, natural English
- See how English works in context - over 75,000 examples of real English taken from the Bank of English®, showing how English is typically used
- Learn typical patterns and collocations - over 5,500 grammatical structures and word combinations identified and highlighted within definitions
- Expand your knowledge of the language - unique Extra Column containing additional information on synonyms and antonyms, grammar, frequency and usage
- Access information quickly and easily - clear, user-friendly colour layout to help you find what you want
- Develop your language further - lists of the most important prefixes and suffixes and of the most frequently used words, helping learners with word-building and to prioritize vocabulary learning
- Access to English - a unique supplement designed to improve written communication skills. It contains essential phrases and expressions which give learners practical guidance in areas such as essay-writing, business correspondence and job applications.