OED - Oxford English Dictionary
Second Edition (CD-ROM,
Now in Stock!
Compatible with Mac computers which has not been available since version 1.0! (see review at bottom of this page!)
From the publisher:
The Oxford English Dictionary is the internationally recognized authority on the English Language, defining more than 500,000 words and tracing their usage through 2.5 million quotations from a wide range of literary and other sources. The text on the CD-ROM comprises the full text of the OED 2nd Edition, plus the text of the three Additions volumes, as well as 7,000 new entries from the OED's continuing research.
Most importantly, OED v4.0 on CD-ROM boasts superb search-and-retrieval software, designed specifically for the electronic version, enabling you to investigate the Dictionary in ways not possible with the print edition. Questions which might have taken years of patient research can now be answered in seconds.
Existing functionality retained from earlier versions includes:
New to this version:
- Installation to the hard drive, so the CD is not required during use of the Dictionary
- Options to customize the entry display and show or hide pronunciations, spellings, etymology, and quotation text
- Flexible full text search options, with search filters and an option to rank entries and search results alphabetically or by date
- Now available to Mac users
- Smoother and faster performance providing instantaneous search results
- New word-wheel which supports incremental letter-by-letter browsing
- 7,000 new words and meanings
Windows: Intel Pentium 4 1.6GHz processor or equivalent (2GHz recommended); Microsoft Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit), Windows Vista (32 or 64 bit), Windows XP (32 or 64 bit), Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000.
Macintosh: Power PC G4 867MHz or faster processor; Intel Core Duo 2.13GHz or faster processor; Mac OS X v.10.4x or 10.5x.
All platforms: 512MB of RAM; 1Gb free hard disk space; minimum monitor capability: 1024 x 768 pixels and high color (16 bits per pixel, ie 65,536 colors); local CD-ROM/DVD drive (for installation); runs from hard drive only.
"The OED on CD-ROM v 4.0 ordered Friday afternoon arrived this [Monday] morning thanks to your splendid efficiency and that of the often much maligned US Postal Service. Many thanks to you both.
The dictionary was very easy to install on my Macintosh computer, and I am delighted to have it since the first CD-ROM version for the Mac has not been usable for some years." W. G., New York, New York