Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
From the publisher:
Upper-Intermediate to Advanced
A S Hornby
Editor, Seventh Edition: Sally Wehmeier
This is the world's bestselling advanced learner's dictionary, recommended by learners of English and their teachers, and used by 30 million people.
- 183,500 British and American words, phrases, and meanings, plus 85,000 examples showing how words are used.
- 2,000 new words and meanings from British and American English, such as offshoring, life coach, sex up, wi-fi.
- 5,000 study words used in the sciences, maths, computing, literature, and business.
- 700 entries for words from Australia, Canada, East Africa, India, New Zealand, South Africa, and West Africa.
- Oxford 3000™: the only reliable list in a dictionary to identify the 3,000 keywords students need to know.
- Special entries for words on the Oxford 3000 list, with extra information on synonyms, collocations, and extra examples to extend vocabulary.
- 7,000 synonyms and opposites shown.
- 200 special synonym notes covering 1,200 synonyms.
- Illustrations and photographs explain 2000+ words.
- Labelled illustrations show related vocabulary.
- 32 colour pages illustrate groups of words such as extreme sports, music, etc.
- Colour maps - much appreciated by teachers and students.
- 2,600 encyclopedic entries to explain references such as Walter Mitty, Fort Knox, Marie Celeste, Peter Pan, Beacon Hill.