Oxford Concise English 11th Edition Revised 2008 (Hardback)
Even though this is a British English Dictionary (American spelling of words refer you to the British spelling and British definitions are listed that you might not find in an American English Dictionary) it is a great reference even for Americans because of the short accurate definitions.
From the publisher:
This revised edition also features a new center section, with quick-reference word lists (containing, for example, lists of Unusual Words, and Onomatopoeic Words), and a revised and updated English Uncovered supplement, which presents interesting facts about the English language. The revised edition of the Concise Oxford English Dictionary also retains such popular features as the Word Histories and Usage Notes that can be found throughout the A-Z text of the dictionary.
Description of the 11th edition
New to this edition
- Major new edition providing an authoritative, up-to-the-minute description of the English language
- Based on hundreds of millions of words of real English from the Oxford English Corpus
- Over 240,000 words, phrases, and definitions, including 900 new words
- NEW Word Histories feature telling the often bizarre stories of the origins and development of 100s of words, such as accolade and candid
- NEW: Hundreds of extra notes on grammar and usage covering a wide range of topics, from confusable words (what's the difference between peddle and pedal?) to punctuation (where should a hyphen be used?)
- Rich vocabulary coverage including scientific, technical, World English, rare, historical, and archaic terms
- Appendices containing lists of alphabets, currencies, chemical elements, electronic English, and more
- 900 new words
- 400 new notes on grammar and usage
- Word Histories feature, providing detailed explanations of the origins and development of 100 words
- Appendix on registers in language, from formal to slang, including a section on English used in electronic communication
- Single edition with printed thumb tabs gives pinpoint accuracy for finding alphabetical changes
Authoritative and up to date, this eleventh edition of the Concise Oxford English Dictionary contains over 240,000 words, phrases, and definitions, including 900 new words. It offers rich vocabulary coverage, with full treatment of World English, rare, historical, and archaic terms, as well as scientific and technical vocabulary, and provides hundreds of helpful notes on grammar and usage.
This new edition replaces ISBN 0198608640.
Readership: For anyone needing a concise and authoritative dictionary of current English for study, work, or home.