Hybrid Battery Repair, Hybrid Battery Recharging is cheaper!
Has your hybrid been sitting for a long time and now the engine will not start? Have you repeated tried to crank the engine till it turned slow and now will not start. We can recharge the battery. If the battery is not at the end of it's life the solution is to recharge the battery. Some dealers and repair personnel will try to sell you a new battery. That is not the solution. Recharge is only $200 within 50 miles of Sylmar
!5 March 2019 - We currently have three used batteries with lots of life left in them price starts at $750. We also rebuild batteries with new modules. see bottom of page!
The 2004 to 2009 Prius had battery modules were individual cells would fail when the rest of the pack still had some life in it. As a result individual cells would start to fail and you could fix this by replacing individual modules (6 cells in a 04-09 Prius module). On newer packs individual cells now rarely fail. For example on a 2010+ Prius based on experience with Uber drivers in Los Angeles they fail at 200,000 miles and the entire pack just has no capacity left.
We firmly believe that your best investment is to replace your battery with new one or one from a lower mileage vehicle. Here is why:
- Once a few modules have failed the rest are not too far behind. Several of our customers with lower mileage failures have gotten a year or more. That is a very good investment but they all do not.
- If you want a repair and are 50 miles from Sylmar, CA we will do it but no warranty!
- We currently have two low mileage packs that came from a salvage yard we have been using for years. You will get years of use out of these packs and we provide the documentation on the donor car and you can verify manufacture dates. See the packs available at the bottom of the page.
- New modules really are new. We recently bought some from Toyota that were only 6 months old another 4 months old. I am talking about the actually manufacture date of the modules that make up battery. Not the final assembly date.
- New packs are made with the latest battery chemistry. They are more efficient (a 1% mpg increase), generate less heat, have more capacity and last longer with the individual cells no longer failing (fewer impurities).
." Primearth (used to be called Panasonic) boasts a 100% share of Toyota hybrids.
All of Primearth’s current NiMH batteries are its NP2.0 type, which has an output density of 1,300 watts/kg." , "Primearth Says Toyota Eyes U.S. Battery Plant" May 15, 2017 Roger Schreffler | WardsAuto
- We can rebuild packs with new modules for the Prius 2004-2015 (including Prius C and V), Camry Hybrid 2007+, Lexus CT200h 2011+, Lexus ES300h 2013+, Lexus GS450h 2007 - 2011 & 2013+, Lexus HS250h 2010 ï¿½ 2012, Lexus LS600h 2008+ for far less than you might think call us. 818-364-9810
- Yunk yard packs have gotten expensive. We sometimes offer good deals Check are listings below.
- New 2004 to 2009 Prius replacement packs are updated to the latest standards. From what I have read and observed with my meter the internal resistant of the Nickle Metal Hydrate battery was decreased in 2010. This means less heat, longer life and a more efficient battery. (Recently I looked at a 2010 battery that had 200,000 miles on it. It had only .03 voltage variation across the pack.)
- If you are a high mileage driver (for example: Lyft & Uber) a new pack or rebuilt pack from a low mileage car is the best way to go. (Least cost per mile.) Again we can offer rebuilt packs at prices that cost very little per mile to operate. If you are not in the Los Angeles area we can ship you just the modules and we can ship just modules to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Guam. We also ship you an entire pack but for an entire pack you have to pay a core charge and pay for shipping bot ways.
Look at the listings at the bottom of the page. If you do not see what you need call us at: 818 364 9810.
Toyota Hybrids: Prius, Camry Hybrid, Lexus CT200h, Lexus ES300h, Lexus GS450h, Lexus HS250h, Lexus LS600h We can rebuild all of these battery packs with new modules for less than dealer prices.
When you get an red triangle of death and OBD error code P3006 or a odb ERROR CODE PAO80 and your hybrid (high voltage, traction) battery has failed it does not have to be a huge expense. Usually it a just one cell that have failed Prius before 2010. We can disassemble the pack and replace the module (6 cells) that has gone bad. This is $3,000 to $4000 cheaper than replacing the whole pack. However, for a long term fix we recommend replacing the entire pack.
We warranty it for one month.. We will repair or replace a defective battery that is within 50 miles of Sylmar, CA or no further than 50 miles more than from where we original replaced it. Excludes battery that have been physically damaged. [We have been in business since 2000 and selling batteries to hybrid car owners since 2005]
Nissan Altima Hybrids:
They use the same battery modules as the Prius and we repair them for $400
Price: Price includes one replacement modules additional modues are $40 that have failed and marginal modules that will failed in the future.
I reached out to Bernie when my 2006 Prius hybrid battery failed in December of 2015 (the dreaded red triangle of death). He had treated me well with a replacement 12V rear battery the year before. At the time he had a battery from a junked Prius with 108k on it. Mine was just past warranty at 153k. I drove up to Sylmar and within a couple of hours, we had the new battery installed and working great! Bernie knew his Prius battery systems backwards and forwards. I just hung around and held the proverbial flashlight. That was over a year and a half ago and not a single issue since. If you have to replace your hybrid battery, go see Bernie, he knows his stuff and is reliable, professional, experienced and a good guy. Respect and thanks -Kevin P. Los Angeles" September 2017
We can also fix other problems like a P3030 which can be just a broken wire. P3030 can also mean the battery has sat for a long time and the voltages are low. Call us with the error codes.
"Bernie did a great job on my 2002 Toyota Prius. It had stopped running and many indications pointed to having to replace the hybrid battery, which is quite expensive. These indications included the "check engine" light and codes indicating the need for extensive work. Bernie replaced two cell packs in the hybrid battery, did some other tune-up work, and the codes disappeared. My Prius has been running great, including both short commutes and longer road trips, and my mileage has improved. Thanks Bernie!"
Below is the side of the battery showing the bus bar and the sensor wires the battery computer uses to measure internal resistances between modules in the pack. In the case of a 2001 to 2003 Prius each block is three modules and these code isolate the problem to two or three modules. (click on the picture to enlarge it.) ODB II error code P3011 = the first two modules and the connections to the third module (what is between the first and 2nd sense wire), P3012 = 3rd and 4th module plus connection to the 5th module. P3013,P3014,P3015,P3016,P3017,P3018,P3019,P3020, etc. just continue down the pack one sense wire at a time. The picture is not crooked and the battery is mounted that way to allow even air flow between the battery modules. The air comes in from the bottom left and the space decrease as it moves to the right helping to even out the air flow between each battery module.
Click on the image above to enlarge it.
Below is a picture of the worst battery modules we have seen, These came out of a 2002 Prius that had been driven after the error codes were displayed. (Probably a lot.) When we found the modules the following ODBII codes P3000,P3006, P3020, P3023, P3024 were displayed. This is a good reason to not keep driving a hybrid after the error codes have indicated a main battery failure. (Toyota hybrids can be driven in a very degraded fashion after the main battery has failed and this one was. It is hard on the battery and the motor generators in the transmission.) The obvious damage shows what goes wrong with a pack. Just a few cells fail. We can fix this and have your car running like normal again. Normally the damaged cells are not so obvious but we find them and fix your pack.
It is also an indication of how safe the nickel metal hydrate battery design is as the surrounding cells were blackened but showed no obvious physical damage. If you look at the modules you will see that there are six cells and only one of them shows obvious damage and the modules were still putting out 6 volts. Also, the ridges between each cell on the side of the modules are there to create spacing between each module and the air is forced up to keep the modules cool.
Click on the image to enlarge it.