Technical Tips: Setting up the Outlook mail program so you can file new email rapidly.Are tired of scrolling up and down the Folder List windowpane in Outlook looking for the right folder? If so you might be interested in this tip I recently discovered. This probably applies to other mail programs as well but the technical details will be a bit different.
In Outlook 98 there is an Outlook Shortcuts windowpane on the left side.
(c) Copyright 2003 eLearnAid. All rights reserved.
- You can right click on an unused part of this windowpane and select "Small Icons".
- Next, delete any standard shortcuts you do not use. I retained: ‘Inbox’, ‘Calendar’, ‘Contacts’, ‘Outbox’ (this maybe one you have to add), and ‘Sent items’.
- Next ‘drag and drop’ the folders you use regularly into the Shortcut Windowpane. Just left click every folder you use frequently from the windowpane to the right, and drag it onto the Shortcut windowpane, placing it where you want it. (For me this procedure created one icon for every area I work in frequently.)
- When I finished, I still had room for more shortcuts and I can now file most of my mail without wasting time scrolling. You just ‘drag and drop’ the email onto the shortcut icon and it is filed.
- Don’t put so many shortcuts in the folder that you have to scroll, this will be defeating the purpose.
- Do make sure you use small icons so you can put in enough icons.
ReferencesGood business principles, well implemented, should make a business grow and prosper. Here are several references that we have found helpful.